Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I need to file a scrivener's error corrective affidavit to…

I need to file...

I need to file a scrivener's error corrective affidavit to correct my name to my deed by adding my middle initial. I bought a form which I could send you from uslegalforms.com which recites at the beginning that the original deed was filed in the recording office of my county and state at

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Book and page

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Then at the end it further recites:

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This affidavit together with the attached instrument duly re-recorded at _________ o’clock ____ M., this the _____ day of _____________, 20_____, in the Book and Page
shown on the first page hereof. How can a new recording be recorded at the same book and page as the original?

3/10/2018
socrateaser, Lawyer

You simply designate the same book and page as it appears on the original deed that displays the error. Modernly, there is no book and page. Everything is recorded in consecutive numerical order. A book and page may be assigned by the computer system in the same manner as a volume and page in a multi-volume text.

But, all that really matters is that the correction deed can be found, and that's done using the recorded number.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hi socrateaser, I do not know what you mean by "the correction deed" Does that mean that the deed must be rewritten? Or is it the original deed re-recorded along with the affidavit explaining the error. The original deed was from my corporation, which no longer exists, so how can a correction deed be executed with one party that no longer exist?
ok, call me or email me when you can. Thanks, John

In my jurisdiction, there's no "affidavit." Changes are made using a correction deed, which is simply a deed in which the property owner quitclaims the property to him/herself and describes the correction being made. If you are using an affidavit for your jurisdiction, then you can simply attach a copy of the original deed to the affidavit.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer
Bruce Schreiber
Phone call session started

Phone call completed.