Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

3/2017-3/2018 i was renting a house in Denver. In the

Customer Question
3/2017-3/2018 i was renting...

3/2017-3/2018 i was renting a house in Denver. In the beginning before signing the lease. I noticed that were was a lot of random personal property in the house, garage, and in the back yard of the house I was about to rent. A dishwasher that was not connected, a washer and dryer, a compost box, flower pots and gardening tools, tables and chairs, head board for a bed, lawn mower, wheel barrel, saw horses, a bunch of Windows, tv and digital boxes, 3 shelves, etc. and later on my old landlord brought a lamp and also stored that in the garage.... Before signing the lease in 2017 i mentioned to the landlord that i didn't need any of that stuff and i needed the space because i would be paying for the space and the landlord said she would take all of the mentioned above. I told her i had all of my own equipment and tools/furniture and her stuff there i wouldn't have room for mine. She promised she would take everything off of the property but never did. Later on to find out. The landlord wrote in the lease because her personal property is at the house she can stop by unannounced. I filed a civil suit for storage fees. Her lawyer has wrote me threatening to sue me if i don't drop the case. Please contact me because i think i will need a lawyer to represent me in this case. My phone number is(###) ###-#### Mike

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado Denver

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes. I filed paperwork with the court against her

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I believe that's it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/11/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 4 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Hello; what is your question please.

3/2017-3/2018 i was renting a house in Denver. In the beginning before signing the lease. I noticed that were was a lot of random personal property in the house, garage, and in the back yard of the house I was about to rent. A dishwasher that was not connected, a washer and dryer, a compost box,flower pots and gardening tools, tables and chairs, head board for a bed, lawn mower, wheel barrel, saw horses, a bunch of Windows, tv and digital boxes, 3 shelves, etc. and later on my old landlord brought a lamp and also stored that in the garage.... Before signing the lease in 2017 i mentioned to the landlord that i didn't need any of that stuff and i needed the space because i would be paying for the space and the landlord said she would take all of the mentioned above. I told her i had all of my own equipment and tools/furniture and her stuff there i wouldn't have room for mine. She promised she would take everything off of the property but never did. Later on to find out. The landlord wrote in the lease because her personal property is at the house she can stop by unannounced. I filed a civil suit for storage fees. Her lawyer has wrote me threatening to sue me if i don't drop the case. Please contact me because i think i will need a lawyer to represent me in this case. My phone number is(###) ###-#### Mike
I need someone to explain to me if my rental right were violated. I can forward lease for you to review
Denver Colorado.

I am sorry to hear this. I apologize for the delay as I did not receive an email notification of your response.

Essentially when a person rents property they are entitled to the quiet use and enjoyment of the property. So unless the lease states that certain personal property will remain, the tenant is entitled to full possession.

Additionally even if the lease states that a landlord can stop by without notice, that provision is generally deemed to be against public policy as it is an intrusion on the tenant's solitude and also is a breach of the quiet use and enjoyment covenant.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.