Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm interested in buying a condo at the cuyahoga county

I'm interested in buying a...
I'm interested in buying a condo at the cuyahoga county sheriff sale. I know I can check the county aditor's website to check if there are back taxes. How can I research other liens on the property before I bid on it?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

H​ello. Let me see if I can assist. Give me a moment to review and type my reply.

I​f you have the property address or the owner's name, you can search for all real estate taxes due online.

The website for Real Estate taxes for the Cuyahoga county treasurer is:

https://treasurer.cuyahogacounty.us/en-US/view-pay-tax-bill.aspx

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about other liens. Is there somewhere I can check? I know I can check the county auditor for taxes due.

Yes, y​ou can search the official records for the county to see if any liens recorded in the public records:

http://recorder.cuyahogacounty.us/Searchs/GeneralSearchs.asp

You can also order a title search by a title company on the property. They usually charge between $125 and $200 for a search.

Lori
Lori, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello the link you provided for the recorder does not work. Is this the civil case docket?

N​o, it is the recorder's office. Try this link:

http://recorder.cuyahogacounty.us/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That worked. Thanks!

Y​ou are welcome.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I was looking at a foreclosed condo and there is a note that says "Sold subject to First Mortgage*" can you give me an idea of what this means? Maybe a second mortgage or lien?

Yes, it could have been a second mortgage or a junior judgment lien that was foreclosed. It could not wipe out the first mortgage so it gets sold subject to the debt and lien of the first mortgage.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
sounds risky. There is an attorney listed on the county website. Is it ok to call the attorney?

Yes, it is risky. Yes, you can call the attorney.

Lori
Lori
Lori, Lawyer