Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have an evication problem as a tenant. We live in an apt.

I have an evication...

I have an evication problem as a tenant

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

We live in an apt. and today we were told we are being evicated in thirty days. We have no lease.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

She made us sign a paper today

3/10/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

,

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

What is your legal question I can help with?

.

.

thanks

Mass. She told us we only have 30 days to leave. We both have health issues. We have no lease.

Ok, I get that she is terminating your tenancy... But you have to actually ask a question before I can answer it..

.

Did she give you a written 30 day notice?

she did

Ok, what is your legal question that I can help with?

Barrister, Lawyer
Can we get more time or should we take it to housing court
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

She can't just throw you out once that 30 day notice expires. She would still have to file a formal eviction action in housing court to get a judgment and a writ of possession that the sheriff or marshal will execute to force you to vacate.. That will take around another month after the 30 day expires.

.

.So you would be looking at at least 2 months before they could force you to vacate..

Cancel phone please.

I am just a site user like you, so you would need to contact the JustAnswer customer service for billing questions or issues.

.

This is the info I have for them.

.

If you need assistance navigating the system, or in understanding how this site operates, the Customer Support team is available to help you 24/7. Email***@******.*** In the US or Canada 1-***-***-**** Available 6am to 9pm PST or use this link: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Would it be worth it for us to file in housing court to get more time than that?
Do we have to pay rent in that time we are here?
Are you still there?

What would you be filing for? As in what would you be trying to sue the landlord for?

.

And yes, you always have to pay rent if you are living somewhere.. otherwise the landlord can file to evict in 14 days.

.

.

thanks

Trying to get more time

Ok in order to sue someone, you have to have some legal grounds, like they injured you, or they violated the law, or they broke a contract..

.

Here, if you are just trying to delay, that wouldn't' work because you can't file a lawsuit based on "we need more time to move" as this isn't a legal ground.

.

About the only thing you could do that would delay things for a few months is to file bankruptcy before the landlord got a judgment against you in court. That would result in an automatic stay of any action for a few months until the landlord got permission from the bankruptcy court to continue with the eviction.