Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What is the Illinois statues that governs building permit…

What is the Illinois statues...
What is the Illinois statues that governs building permit fees in a municipality?
3/10/2018
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you. In the municipal code. Which municipality?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A city in IL do you need specific town name !

Yes.

The state grants the power to the municipality.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cortland il in Dekalb co

One moment please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I read yesterday that the state grants the freedom but it must reasonably cover the expense of work required to actually issue the permit

That is true.

Is this residential property?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cortland tried to develop right before the crash
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
all other cities in county charge 4-5,000 based on units size etc
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cortland charging 8500 trying to recover losses from housing crash

And you feel Cortland is not charging a reasonable fee?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No because the are charging it as an Ssa at application to cover for ssa that went under
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ssa now closed so people are paying ssa on property then again to get building permit now that things are moving

I agree with you. I am providing the link for the code

http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/index.php?book_id=527

and I will also pull up the specific code.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ssa ended in 2015
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do you think this is wrong then ?

If you feel the fees are unreasonable you can take action against the town by filing a lawsuit or report the town to the Illinois Attorney General to investigate public corruption.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am in a law suit with them already but the judge openly admits he is biased as he was the town Atty before he was judge ... we are petitioning for new judge
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you know ssa law as well ?

These small town politics are a nightmare. I have 30 years of experience in many jurisdictions and I practiced in Illinois for 25 years.

Yes, I have a great deal of experience with these matters. You may wish to report this to the AG http://www.ag.state.il.us/government/about_inspector_general.html

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need to ask each question individually so you get credit yes ?

You can ask me another question. I am happy to help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you familiar with tax deed sales and ssa laws and insolvent bonds

Yes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I bought property in Cortland where the developers went bankrupt at property was auctioned at tax deed sale which means all prior Dept is expunged

You mean Debt, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My title search found there was an ssa on the property that was undeveloped and not reviving benefit from ssa
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
debt

Did the title company insure over this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I requested a sale in error because the risk of ssa and was denied because 1- the underwriting for the bonds said that the property should foreclose under ssa law and city should take property not allow it to go to tax deed sale and 2 since 30% of bond was expunged that Cortland was required to file insolvency and drop ssa
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They did not drop ssa and trying to foreclose on my property for $6m in ssa

There always needs to be an maximum duration and maximum rate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The entire ssa stopped in 2015
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I bought the property in 2013
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I cannot find a way that the bondunder writer said is why they can not charge because if insolvent is there statute for that under article 9 or is corruption the best approach

Based on the small town politics mentality I would involve the AG.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I save this and open new questions to you directly or a way I can reach out to you directly in future ? What is your hourly rate ?

Lisa Madigan has been the AG for a very long time. She is quite familiar with what goes on in municipalities. I worked with her over the years.

Pursuant to the terms of service for the site I cannot create an Attorney/Client relationship with customers on the site. That being said you can request me and it will be my pleasure to assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You are the best Atty I talked to since 2013 on this matter and received more referral material than I have from from 3 I have hire
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you let me read all the reference data and see if I get more questions
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You are fabulous

Thank you for your kind words. I have worked in private practice and for government so I know all of their tricks. This is my direct link. https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-attyadvisor/?rpt=3800

You are most welcome. Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund. You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars? Thank you for your consideration.
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Absolutely and I am a full time member to site you are first Atty to give real answer

It was my pleasure to work with you.

Thank you for taking the extra time to rate my service.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wrote the Atty general as you suggested they said if it is fraud for someone in their office they can help otherwise hire an Atty

This is absolutely something the AG can investigate. They are being lazy.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They said it would be giving legal advise to public not their job
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Heard similar things from other government agencies as well

That is correct they cannot legally represent you. They can investigate this matter.

You are certainly free to file your own lawsuit. I can provide a link for local Attorneys that provide FREE consultations in the area.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have filed a suit been battling for 3 plus years I am looking for additional statutes to support the fight

The AG is required to investigate matters of public corruption.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I received so statutes in reply to similar question I will read and see if they help

You stated the judge admitted bias you can report this to https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/jib/Pages/complaint.aspx

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But we can request new judge he is being honest for telling us

I would request a new judge.

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney