Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm in Michigan and yesterday had a deed tax certificated by…

Customer Question
I'm in Michigan and...

I'm in Michigan and yesterday had a deed tax certificated by the county, however when I went to have it recorded, they said it's not the original. I them took it to my title company and they had there records department verify that it was indeed original. Upon leaving they called and said upon further review it was not the original. This is in fact the one and only deed that was issued to me. How can I get it recorded. I read about the lost deed and documents act. Please advise

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Property transfer affidavit with the city. The title company even had me bring a check for the PROPERTY Transfer Taxes which they should have with held from the seller at close

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
What is the turnaround time to receive an answer?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

If this is not the original deed go back to county and get a new original.All you can tell them is they refused to record it.It is also possible hee it was already recorded and you have a recorded copy.

These are the possibilities I see.Check with the county here where you purchased to see if they already recorded and sent you a copy here.One way or the other you can get the proper deed.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

The deed was not recorded! The title company did not file the deed. It was a land contract and after the contract was satisfied, the title company gave us the deed and instructed us to file it along with the property transfer Affidavit. The question is how can we file a deed if we Do not have the deed with the original signatures but we do have a certified copy of the deed. Please advise
You did a really poor job of answering the question! Did you even read the question?

Title company owes you the original deed here.Otherwise you don't have clear title.They should know that.Call title compnay and demand a signed deed not a copy here.This is real suspicious.They should know it snot recordable.