Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My HOA BOD has disapproved an application to have a Civil…

My HOA BOD has...

My HOA BOD has disapproved an application to have a Civil War History Interest Group as a HOA sanctioned activity group in our gated community. The CWHI Group is non-discriminatory in any way and the HOA BOD is citing regulation of the Fair Housing Act is the basis for it decision to disapprove the application. This seems to be a stretch on the part of the HOA BOD.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Only paperwork filed has been between the organizer of the CWHI and the HOA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The group had one meeting and the HOA BOD received both positive and negative feedback from attendees. There were no members of the BOD present at the meeting and there has been no attempt from the BOD to meet with the organizers to discuss potential modifications to elleviate concerns expressed by those making negative comments.

3/10/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’d be interested in any information you can provide. Thank you
The hoa has discretion but cannot abuse it or deny reasonable requests.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.It should reconsider especially if you marshal support from others and members.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not want to use the “Call Me” option. Email is fine.
if you get an automatic phone call request, you can accept it and a phone based law expert will handle. if you prefer to proceed by chat with me, just reply to the chat. some customers choose both, but the choice is yours! ThanksPlease let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If our meeting was hospitable and not hostile in any way, and the objective to have an open discussion on the cause of the CivilWar was met, could this in any way be construed as a violation of the FHA. This seems to be a stretch in my opinion since there wasn’t a hint of discrimination displayed at the meeting. We welcomed everyone and even had minorities present at the meeting.
that is a stretch. If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could the fact that the Civil War in and of itself was a racially motivated war be sufficient reason to disallow the group, or to be a violation of the FHA would actual discrimination at the meeting have to be demonstrated. I will admit the subject matter can be sensitive, but how does the FHA play into it if discrimination isn’t a factor.
Should not be a factor. It may be offensive to some but it is free speech. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your replies. Can I print off our dialogue?
Sure. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Infolawyer, Lawyer