Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I own a home in CA. I have not lived in the home since 2011.

Customer Question
I own a home...

I own a home in CA. I have not lived in the home since 2011. I currently rent the home. I am interested in selling, but I am wondering how much (estimate) I would expect to pay in capital gains taxes (federal/state taxes, etc.). I have tried researching on my own, and never am able to find a clear answer. Thank you!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Don't think so. :)

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/10/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Do you expect to sell above cost of purchase?
Since I've rented the house from July 2011 till now, I'm wondering about depreciation recapture as well. Yes. I owe $213K and expect to sell between $355-365K.
Original purchase price $265K.
Varies from sale to sale but approx 10-15 percent on the gain.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Yeah, I already know that. How much is federal? How much is California? How much is the depreciation recapture?
I will opt out as your inquiry requires an accountant for such detail.
Well, this was pointless and a waste of $5 and my time.
Not to mention, I asked about federal and state in my original question, so it's not like that was a surprise.