Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

In a deed to a house in Brooklyn, NY there are 3 owners

names. One is me. The...
In a deed to a house in Brooklyn, NY there are 3 owners names. One is me. The other is my mother who passed away in 2015 and my brother who has psychiatric issues and has not been in the house since 2013. His whereabouts at this time are totally unknown and how to reach him. I am on disability. NYC Department of Finance has this program to exempt disabled persons on Social Security Disability with the proper documentation, from property tax lien sales and reduce their property taxes. The problem I am facing is that my home is facing a possible lien sale this coming May. I was granted an exemption for 2016-2017. My 2017 exemption was revoked because all owners signature and information were not on the exemption/reduction applications. Only my brother who whereabouts are unknown signature is missing. I gave the city a copy of my Mothers death certificate to explain her signature's absence.. But they want his signature notarized on an appeal application. What can I do when 2 people own a house as joint tenants with the right of survivorship, but one has effectively abandoned it, whereabouts unknown and his signature is needed?
3/10/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you receive a phone call offer, kindly disregard the offer. The offer is being made to you automatically by the site and not by me. Also, I do not participate in the phone call program.

You need to do an Affidavit stating that after diligent search that you are unable to locate your brother and thus cannot obtain a notarized signature from him. Attach evidence of your search for your brother such as using the websites for people searches. Click here for some of the sites.

Click here for sample Affidavits.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law