Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a friend wanting to donate her home to me. Can the…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend wanting to donate her home to me. Can the act of donation be reversed I live in Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It could involve a judgement

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/10/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You have left out information that you have suggested by stating something about a judgment. That leaves a lot open for speculation. I will try to provide the alternatives. You can provide more information if you desire.

1) If your friend transfers the deed to her home to you and you register the deed with the Parish where the house is located then the house is yours. Your friend can not take it back afterwards.

2) BUT if she is transferring the property to get it out of her name to avoid a judgment lien on the property, the person that she owes money to can sue her and you to claim that the transfer was fraudulent simply to avoid the judgment. If a court believes that to be true then the court can undo the transfer.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald