Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have two tenants (and a co-signer) and one of the tenants…

Hi I have two...

Hi I have two tenants (and a co-signer) and one of the tenants is abusive and has driven the other tenant out by bulling and according to this tenant, assault. Yesterday after a spat the one tenant broke the other's car mirror. The other moved out and the co-signer went to the property to remove belongings. The tenant who moved out would like to come back. 1) How to get rid of the bad tenant? And 2) If the bad tenant remains through the end of the lease and refuses to move, will the other tenant be liable until she does?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's basically it. What should I as a landlord do. Just have them hash it out between themselves? Bad tenant will not move without some kind of action.

3/10/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You can demand they resolve it or you will move to evict both. Often that will spark them to resolve. If needed, martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
If the bad tenant remains in the apartment after the lease expires and refuses to leave, will the other party and the co-signer continue to be liable for the rent. It doesn't look like they are going to be able to sort it out. How would evict both. The rent is being paid by the co-signer. Co-signer is saying she will pay the lease through September. Can't afford a lawyer she says. Rent is $945/month.
All are liable. You may evict using eviction counsel who are inexpensive locally. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
If the bad tenant is on the lease and has possession, I don't understand how the landlord move to evict them both? Eviction will be on the good tenant's and his mom's (co-signers) credit report as well as on the bad tenant's. Co-signer is going to pay bad tenant's rent (!) through September, I assume so her and her son's credit is not wrecked. She feels that after the end of the lease she is no longer liable if bad tenant refuses to leave. I don't know about that. Thanks for your help.
Landlord can elect not to evict all. It has the discretion to focus only on the bad tenant. Very welcome.Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer