Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My son and his wife are having an issue with a landlord.

My son and his...

My son and his wife are having an issue with a landlord. Husband and wife are staying friends, but not "lovers" however the wifes landlord has threatened to "call the law" if h stays there. Is this legal? Can they do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Sorry............VA Bedford County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Landlord filed a " pay or quit" on the wife.......she has signed papers agreeing to pay, but to my knowledge nothing else has been filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. What is the basis for the eviction? Do they owe rent?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she does yes....................signed a pay or quit 5 day notice
He DID live there, but only stays over from time to time now........ they are being friends because divorce is expensive, and they were better that way. NOw they just try to help each other
out financially..............
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My E's are not working, so I keep having to go back...............Sorry for the inconvenience
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
NO calls
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thoughts?

Sorry for the delay

Please allow me a moment to respond now.

What is happening with their marriage and their decision to separate or anything like this, has nothing to do with the landlord. There is no legal basis for the landlord to call the police if they are having marital issues unless there is violence and the landlord wants to report this. However, if rent is owed and a notice to pay or quit was given and they fail to do so, the landlord could proceed and evict them. If she pays, that would be the end of it but if not, they can be evicted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You.........I hav passd th info on............You'v bn vry hlpful.
You are welcome
If you have not already I kindly just ask that you rate my help at the top at this time
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer