Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a tenant that was recently told I have 30 days to move…

Hello. I am...

Hello. I am a tenant that was recently told I have 30 days to move out. my landlord sold his house in another state and wants to move in where I am. my lease says it's not up until 1 Aug. he tried to sneak in a month to month clause that I am told is not right. what is the law and my rights. I told him that I would need my rent money for this month to move. he is calling and texting me daily for it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Prince George's county maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's about it. I am moving next week... to another location. I was lucky to find somewhere to go. he tried to short sale the property a year or so ago.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What do you mean by

my lease says it's not up until 1 Aug. he tried to sneak in a month to month clause that I am told is not right.

Can you provide some context?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can upload the lease and addendum if possible

Got it...thanks

What are your questions regarding this? Are you asking if that addendum is legal?

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal ($5) additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thank you for using the phone option. Please give a call (or let me know if you can not see my #)

Wanted to make sure you can see my # and can call

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it says wrong number.

shoot...last # should be 8

sorry!

P. Simmons, Lawyer