Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My tenants girlfriend hit a fence near the condo. I own.

Customer Question
My tenants girlfriend hit...

My tenants girlfriend hit a fence near the condo. I own. He’s having some money troubles Mgt company is. Threatening me with. Paying for repair

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Oklahoma City.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No just threatening.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Tenant. Is trying to get funds to fix the fence. But they gave me a date and amount. For repair

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/9/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 month ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

You are responsible for the upkeep of the property and damage to any common grounds of the HOA which you or your tenant cause. You are not - however - responsible for THIRD PARTIES' actions which cause damage. He was not your tenant. So you should not be held responsible.

However, if the HOA's documents (CC&Rs, bylaws, etc) say that the owner is responsible for actions of his tenants' guests, then you may be liable.

So someone in your situation wants to do the following:

1) Check the governing documents.

2) If they are silent about the owner being liable for tenants' guests, then write back a letter denying liability and explaining why.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law