Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Quick question with perhaps a complicated answer; Can/should…

Hi - quick question...

Hi - quick question with perhaps a complicated answer; Can/should the owner of a home ask a real estate agent to present them with an offer before they will sign them to a Listing Agreement? In this case the agent disclosed that they've been approached by interested buyers/agents ready to make an offer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Property is in CA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

None. 3 agents are vying for the Listing via an RFP (Request for Proposal). No contracts have been written up.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I think that's it.

3/9/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

However, it would unlikely and not proper for the agent to disclose names, etc. since there is no signed contract because if the agent does not land the job, the seller would therefore know the names of prospective purchasers and the agent would not get paid. Likewise, the agent cannot accept an offer or provide offers without being signed first since the agent would not have authority to do so.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

As I was saying, an agent cannot show offers because the agent is not authorized to accept offers without the contract.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer