Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Is a landlord or any of his agents allowed to open a tenants…

Customer Question
Is a landlord or...

Is a landlord or any of his agents allowed to open a tenants drawers or closets during an pre-hud inspection

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

This apartment building is in california as a prvately owned hud subsidized property

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The manager just mentioned the event in passing and said the tenant did not have to be present and they would prefer the tenant not be there.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/9/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you for your patience. The Real Estate Assessment Center's (REAC) guidelines do not include looking in the drawers or closets during a HUD inspection. They will test things like doors, drapes, and blinds, but they can't look inside of closets and drawers. Those aren't home fixtures as they are just your personal property.

If they touch your things without permission, then you can say that this appears to be a trespass to chattels (personal property). This occurs when there is an interference with the personal property rights of another. This means that if someone does not have the legal authority to interfere with the possession of personal property of another, then the trespass occurs. Usually, the measure of damages is the fair market value of the property at the time of trespass. For example, a vehicle that is worth $4,000 at the time the owner’s access was blocked is likely what a court would award. You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter advising that the property should be returned ASAP There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. What else can I help you with today?