Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Not simple need to know cost. Polk county iowa des moines…

Not simple need to...

Not simple need to know cost

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Polk county iowa des moines 50314

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes I am listed as an owner with my fiancee who purchased it in 2016 added me via quit claim 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Back taxes have been paid and soonest possible possession date is March 2019. where he purchased house outright has been incarcerated all but about 90 days and I have maintained, repaired, furnished, and resided in the house 2 years. I believe I could push and win common law marriage status for Iowa but not looking for any more than reasonable comps

reasonable compensation for my time and expense in the property. Do I need to have a legal contract drawn up and attached to the property? If I pay the back taxes and catch the property up to current status what are my chances of recovering if we part ways. Can I be awarded a portion of the houses value. He purchased the house from his grandmother's estate(who raised him) with his inheritance of her retirement left to him as beneficiary.
3/9/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

A written contract could be very helpful if someone is going to pay taxes and expenses for a property. Generally, if someone, even someone in a relationship with someone else who owns the property, that person would be entitled to reimbursement for paying taxes or expenses, including even a management fee for maintaining the property. This would be actually net the rent. In other words, if someone is living as a "tenant" in the property, they would pay the fair market value to rent the place. Anything over that amount would be subject to reimbursement.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

If we parted ways how would I go about having an instrument attached to the property ensuring I received payment upon the sale of the property? Is it possible for him to remove me from the property without my consent?

If your name is ***** ***** the title of the property and you are living in the home, you are technically a tenant and the owner is the landlord. Since there is no written lease, it would be a month to month lease. So, the "landlord" could give the notice to vacate and if the "tenant" does not vacate, the landlord can file an eviction proceeding.

To put a lien on the property, there would have to be a judgement lien against the owner of the property. So, it would require a lawsuit. The only way to put a lien on the property without a judgement is if there was a contractor doing work and that contractor could put a mechanic's lien, and a mortgage lender could also. Otherwise, there would have to be a judgment.

I know the news is not that great but it is better to know what could happen. We can continue our discussion. If you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you if you are satisfied with the service I am providing. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

when he quit claim me TO the property is that not being added to the deed. In other words I went from tenant/property manager to a legal owner jointly with him true or no?

Yes. A quick claim deed transfer to a person, either solely to the person or jointly, would be proof of ownership.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

if I do not attach an instrument to the property given certain amounts claimed would I receive nothing because he purchased solely? Could I receive 50% as joint owner? Or only if common law marriage is established?
if we parted ways what means are available for me to be notified of a sale?
would I have to establish and attach instruments at the time of departure? or Could I still make claim at the time of sale even if years into the future?

If you make a contract, you possibly could obtain a security interest in the property if it is set forth in the agreement. As of now, you have no right to the property but still can make a claim for payments you made after deducting typical rent paid. If you got a judgment, then you could place the lien. There is nothing now preventing the sale of the property and there is no right to notice of the sale of the property.

As I said, I know the news is not great, but it is better for you to know all this.

f you need further assistance, just let me know.

If I was quit claim deed added to the property I am only responsible for liabilities but exempt any assets?
maybe the question should be what is a quit claim deed ?

A quick claim deed transfers any interest the grantor (the current owner) has in the property to a recipient, called the grantee. Basically, it transfers ownership of the property. It can be used to add a person's name to the property too.

then I am an owner yes and would be entitled proceeds from the property ? am not an owner even though quit claimed to it? still need an instrument attached to the property to ensure compensation upon sale of the property?

If your name is ***** ***** deed and the deed is recorded, upon the sale, you would be entitled to your share of the proceeds.

my share of the proceeds would be based on the calculations of what?
If both of your names are ***** ***** deed you both get 1/2.
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer