Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How do I determine whether or not an area is legally a

Customer Question
How do I determine...

How do I determine whether or not an area is legally a driveway? The area is rocker and has been used for vehicle access to the other end of my front area. There is a stem property behind my lot and they want to put a fence across this area. Their claim is that this access is not on the land plot that was created when the lots were laid out in the 1970's

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

I am in Virginia and the vehicle has current registration and gets used

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I am not sure about what would be filed. The area was cleared for vehicle when I moved here 40 years ago I serviced it since I was using to access the back. I did not anything officially designated on a land plot

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/9/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you. Can you tell me where in Virginia your real property is located? Do you have title insurance from your purchase of the real estate?

Location is Albemarle County. I believe there was title insurance when we purchased but may need to locate some document to find out for certain

If you have been using this as a right of way (driveway) they cannot block your access. You MUST have full access to your property. You most likely have an easement or a right to use. If you have a survey or title insurance policy I would be able to see if anything is stated with regard to driveway.