Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a lien against my property that's been paid in full.

I have a lien...

I have a lien against my property that's been paid in full. Lien holder will not remove the link. House is being sold ready to go to closing. March 22nd 2018.$2,700 has been paid in full. November 21st 2017 was paid in full. I Have all documents and proof bank statements cancel check. Lien holder admit that he has been paid in full. But refuse to release the lien from property. Retha Jordan phone number(###) ###-#### Appreciate your response as soon as possible. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I apologize Georgia. Lithonia Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No I don't know the procedures to file anything against this person. Been down to Clerk Office at the courthouse. They said he have to release the lien and I w

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Would this stop a process of selling my property. He's been paid in full.

3/9/2018
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

H​ello. Let me see if I can assist. Give me a moment to review and type my reply.

I​ don't know why the lien holder is refusing to remove the lien with a satisfaction of lien or a release of lien.

I recommend a demand letter to the lienholder demanding that they release the lien within 2 days. Otherwise, you will file suit against them to recover monetary damages for slander of title, fraudulent lien and quiet title, as well as recovery of your attorney's fees and costs.

If that does not work (since you are short on time for your upcoming closing), you can bond off the lien. That means that you will post a bond with the court for the lien amount and interest on the lien amount. The lien will then transfer to the bond and you will have to still fight the lien in court. However, it won't be a lien on the real property anymore so you can close.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please be sure to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.

Lori
Lori, Lawyer
Lori
Lori
Lori, Lawyer