Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have to leave my current rental property as I got a new…

Customer Question
Hi there I have...

Hi there I have to leave my current rental property as I got a new job outside of my current place.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

But the real estate saying I have to pay rent until they find a new tenant.this property in Redcliffe

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The problem is this house was advertised for several months before we moved in as the condition of the house is not good for any one to choose this straight away

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They sent me some paperwork to sign

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/9/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are you under a fixed term lease contract>

,

What is your legal question i can help with?

.

.

thanks

S it's fixed term contract. They asked me to pay the rent until they find a new tenant.I can understand that but the problem is this house won't go that easy due to the condition.they advertised this property for several months before we moved in
Our agreement is until December and I have to move out as I got a new job elsewhere

Unfortunately, there is not any type of "hardship" escape clause in a lease unless it was specifically stated in the lease. If you are under a written lease for a set term, then if you break the lease, the landlord can potentially hold you liable for up to the entire remaining term of the lease. If your situation has changed, it would not give you legal grounds to get out of the lease without any repercussions.

.

However, if you have to break your lease, the landlord has a duty to mitigate his damages by attempting to re-rent the unit as soon as possible. Once he does so, he can only hold you liable for his actual damages in the form of any lost rent and advertising costs. So if it takes him 1 or 2 months to rent it again, he can only hold you liable for that lost rent plus any advertising costs.

.

So to minimize your potential liability, if you have to breach, make sure you leave the place as close to spotless as you can so the landlord can immediately put it on the market and hopefully rent it quickly.

.

.

thanks

I can't afford to pay 2 rents as I know this house won't go that easy.

See my answer above.

if this house didn't sell for months am I entitled to pay the rent for these many days

So if this house didn't sell for months am I entitled to pay the rent for these many days

.

If the landlord isn't trying to re-rent,and is trying to sell, you aren't liable at all. He has to be trying to re-rent the property to be in compliance with the law.. If he is not trying to re-rent, then he can't hold you liable for any lost rent.

If this take several months to get a new tenant in as I responsible for that? Is there any time frame for that?
Sorry I am asking this as this property takes months to rent it because of its condition.Is there any time frame for the owner to rent this in order to get the lose rent from us.

.

Yes, you are liable if the landlord was trying to re-rent and couldn't do so. You are liable up until the landlord re-rents or the lease expires.

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much