Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I was scammed by a contractor. He was hired to a two family…

Customer Question
I was scammed by a...
I was scammed by a contractor. He was hired to a two family renovation job. He pulled late permits after finishing half of the job but didn't mention all the things he was going to do. He got $50,000 from us and never finished the job. We spent another $80k to finish his job. What are my options if I want to file a lawsuit against him. I have the written signed contract and all the other necessary documents
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/9/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Have you made demands on him to finish the job or issue a refund? Do you know why he never finished?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He had stopped picking up our calls and even blocked us. We had to get the work done from the subs. However the permits he pulled, he lied on the application about the work being done inside. He didn't mentioned anything about new electric, new studs, new sheet rocks and never got the rough inspection. Now that we have the work complete and trying to get the C/O. One of the inspector said we saw when this house was fully gutted out from inside..how come there was no rough inspection done. We told them it was the contractor who was suppose to take care of it. There charged us $2000 violations for not getting the proper permits and another $2000 for not getting rough inspection. Now they are making us open all the walls again to do their rough inspection. I already spend $150k on this renovation where the contract signed with this GC was for $115k.

Great to hear back from you and thank you for the reply. At this time, you want to retain counsel and do need to sue him, for breach of contract and the cost of damages and to hire a third party to finish the job. Based upon the amount owed and what you need to recover, this is not something for small claims court that you could handle on your own and it could be complex. If you retain counsel and prevail, you can also go after him for your attorney fees. You can sue for the money gave him and the cost to finish the job and repair the bad work he did or failed to do, as well. You should also file a complaint with the State today, against his contractor's license and with the Attorney General, who can go after him as well.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Tina, Lawyer