Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I feel I am being discriminated/bullied against by my HOA.

I feel I am...

I feel I am being discriminated/bullied against by my HOA

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

What can I answer for you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey Olivia, I have been having several problems from my HOA they keep accusing me of violating some of the HOA rules and threatening me with an attorney. I have tried to work with them but they wont even meet with me. I dont know what else to do. They do not appear to be enforcing these rules on any of the other neighbors just me and I feel like I am being picked on because of my age

So you're saying there is selective enforcement of the rules?

You don't necessarily need to meet with them - but you do want to put in writing your beliefs regarding selective enforcement (and anything else you're trying to communicate to them).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s exactly the case
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I thought about writing a letter and send it certified mail but I just am not sure how to word it

And that makes sense... there's really no "legalese" you'd need to use for a letter like that. You'd want to lay out each specific instance of disparate treatment and maybe start your letter with something along the lines of "I feel as if the rules aren't being enforced consistently" since that's what you said to me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay i will try that and what do I do if they do not respond? Because they won’t respond to my request to meet with them

That's important... you need to decide whether you want to do what they ask and then sue them for the potential costs or not do it (which is more dangerous b/c then they can sue you).

Paying whatever damages they assess and then suing them for the amount is "safer" in my personal opinion b/c it's harder for them to hit you with assorted costs/lawyers fees.

---

Reminder:

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s a brilliant idea! I didn’t even think about that.

Happy to help, my friend :-) If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent