Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbors valley has been overgrown with huge weeds trees…

My neighbors valley has been...
My neighbors valley has been overgrown with huge weeds trees etc. it's pushing my fence over. Now wild pigs are getting in, my dogs are able to get out. I've asked them to cut back, offered to pay for it and let them know the damage that is happening. They won't do anything let alone respond. What options do I have? Should I write them a letter? Can I cut it back
I live on kauai, hawaii
3/8/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You can first write them a letter demanding they make repairs. If they refuse to make the repairs, then legally you can sue for the damage and also sue for nuisance and seek a court order for the hazard their negligent maintenance is causing to your property. You can trim anything that comes on your side of the property line, but for the other growth you have to sue the neighbor to get the court to order them to maintain their property and stop their property from damaging your property.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

How should i deliver the letter?also, my dogs bark (not a lot) and they yell out their window which is maybe 6 feet away from my living rooms bedroom and lanai. They yell at us for my grandmas(84 yes old) tv our piano . They call cops a lot who say I should file a harassment complaint. They built their house very very close while we already owned ours. I understand that happens and the issue isn't them building so close however what's our rights? Reasonable enjoyment of our home right?? When are we and them infringing on this. Thank u
Are u there??

Thank you for your reply.

You should send the letter by regular mail and certified mail to create a record and proof you gave them a chance to fix the problem.

Both of you have the right to reasonably use and enjoy your property peaceably. That is all the law really says and it does not specify a code of neighborly conduct, but neither of your conduct should prevent the other from peaceably using your property.

I am here, but we are working with multiple customers at one time and everyone of them deserves the same time you deserve, so sometimes our responses take awhile.

It doesn't like a peaceful use of our property if we can't watch tv or play piano without them yelling and and constantly telling us to shut up...Feel so bad for my kids and grandma. Is this considered peacefully enjoying our property?understand your busy. I will leave a positive rating. I appreciate your time.thank u...

Thank you for your reply.

I get you that you are being disturbed from doing normal activities and they too would argue they were being disturbed from their activities. Legally, this is a balancing act and either the two of you need to come to some mutual agreement or the disputes will continue and perhaps you may have to keep windows down on that side of the house near them to tune them out (just one suggestion, not a real solution).

Agreed. I know it bothers them and they bother us. We hear everything from them. However don't complain because we accept it's part of living so close to others. Even when we close all our windows and sliding doors(built to have the living rooms open up to lanai)they complain. I had the cops come in a few times and walk around my home check the volume on our devices. So it sounds like the letter is first step...also can I use weed killer along my fence line? On my side of course. Thank u. Think that's my last question for now.

Thank you for your reply.

You can use weed killer on your side and you can trim anything on your side.

The letter is typically the best first step and even offer in the letter to sit and talk it out and come to a solution with them as friendly neighbors should do.

Thank u

Thank you.