Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Was just wondering how much time and how much can they raise…

Was just wondering how...

Was just wondering how much time and how much can they raise the rent. They gave us a months notice they are raising rent $350.00

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Don't know what you mean.

3/8/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Unfortunately, if you are not under a fixed term written lease, then when your lease ends, or if you are month to month, the landlord can increase the rent as much as he wants to with a written 30 day notice. Washington doesn't have any rent control and actually has laws that prevent it.

.

So it is then up to the tenant to decide if they want to accept the rent increase, or whether they want to move out before it takes effect and find a cheaper place.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer