Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My kids turned a shop building on my property into a living…

Customer Question
My kids turned a...

My kids turned a shop building on my property into a living space , the building was permted and built 14 years ago now the county says it was never finaled and i need to get a new permit and get it finaled but it is a living space now . They cant afford to move out is there anything i can do to make the problem go away

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland Anne Arundel county

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The county put a notice on the door that it was in violation

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just that i am worried sick about this ,

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What do you mean "make it go away"? Are you asking if the county can enforce its zoning/permit rules?

or is there some kind of loop holr

No. Sorry...the county is free to enforce their rules. IF you do not have a permit, the county can require you obtain one. There is not "loophole"

That said, you can approach the county and request a waiver to allow them to live in the property while you go through the permit process. It may be they agree...they do . not have to, but in my experience, the county will often try and work with you over this

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that there is some "loophole" but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. Happy to help if I can.