Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

PLearl, I live in a planned horse community. We built on one

Customer Question

Hello PLearl, I live in a planned horse community. We built on one parcel and later bought the adjacent land next to us. I had that land annexed to the existing one so that I could have extra pasture land for my horses. The total land now is about 10 acres. Because it is considered one parcel, I pay taxes on just the combined one. Also, because it is annexed, I cannot build a home on the new land. But, as I am required to follow the law for now one parcel, my HOA board would like me to pay dues on two separate parcels. I don't believe that I should since it is no longer considered two, but one. Please advise. The community is Hunterdon in Ocala FL.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I filed at the county level to have the property annexed. The HOA board has sent a bill for the two parcels for payment of annual dues.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The HOA goes based on the plat map for the HOA, even if you had the two lots annexed into one lot for property tax purposes, your HOA plat map dictates the lots. So in order to change it from one lot to two on the HOA plat map, you need to file a request with the HOA board to consolidate and if they refuse, which they can, you can still pay two HOA fees, since your lot is double the size of the other HOA lots.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.