Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I own ten acres in northern whatcom county which previously…

I own ten acres...

I own ten acres in northern whatcom county which previously contained 1 acre of established blueberries. I had listed it with a local agent who mistakenly had it mowed, destroying the berry bushes. Do I jave any recourse? I'm located in Gladstone Oregon. Phyllis(###) ###-####

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The agent claims it was the mowers fault. I've spoken with him and he verifies that it was a mix up on his part. And was very apologetic. But made no repairations.

3/8/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes, if the agent hired someone to mow and the mower damaged the property, both the mower AND the agent who hired him are jointly and severally liable to you for the damages. So, you would be able to sue both the mower and the agent for the cost of the damage of moving the berries down.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What would be required to do that? I'm located a long ways away. Would the attorney need to be local to Whatcom County?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you would need the attorney in Whatcom County to sue there in Whatcom and they would start by making written demand on the agent and mower and if they refuse to pay, then he will file a complaint in the court.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer