Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

In Georgia can you hold the rent money if the land lord have…

In Georgia...

In Georgia can you hold the rent money if the land lord have not fixed anything and not pay until it fixed

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

The property is located in in Stone Mountain GA . Dekalb CO

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

NO PAPER HAVES BEEN FILED AT THIS TIME.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I Have complaint of mold and call the code enforcement .However the land ford came over slamming things down on the counter top say it her house she did this all before time to pay the rent now it time to pay the rent

3/8/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Georgia unfortunately doesn't have a specific statute that allows a tenant to withhold rent in order to force a landlord to make repairs. Courts have recognized the rights of a tenant to make repairs themselves and deduct it from the rent when the landlord refuses, but that requires first sending notices explaining your intent to do so and giving them time to make the repair themselves. Since you've already notified code enforcement, it probably wouldn't make sense to hire someone to fix the mold now.

A tenant's options when the landlord fails to make repairs that affect health and safety are to contact the city, as you have done, repair and deduct, sue the landlord for an injunction requiring him to do the repairs, or sue for diminished value of the property. For ongoing problems, you can sue for diminished value even after exercising other options. But if you withhold the rent, the landlord unfortunately can choose to evict you.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You have my 5 star vote thanks

I'm glad I could help.

Please choose a positive rating on the screen, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer