Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What are my easement rights if it deadends on my property…

What are my easement...

What are my easement rights if it deadends on my property and I am Only person whom uses it, as well

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Only with original mortgage

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Since the last owner purchased my life has been in turmoil because I live on a county maintained road. Now the easement is being used for rain runoff on road. I have ingress/egress(sp) of 50ft x 100ft but can't put up any private drive sign or anything. Purchased Property in 1999, so wandering if since I am ONLY person using easement; there is road frontage to rest of land owned by other party, so won't need to use easement. I am on LIMITED INCOME and am at my wits in on this matter.

3/8/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Who owns the underlying land that the easement is on?

.

Are you saying you have an easement to cross over someone else's land and they are interfering with your easement rights by damaging the road?

..

.

thanks

Easement & Surrounding land was sold to Melissa McCutcheon approx 6-7 yrs ago. When purchased her husband took tractor & what we thought was fixing easement to very edge of property line however it loosened the packed dirt @ time & I've had ISSUES w it washing out ever since. Owner works for a Judge in our county & sent me(my wife) a certified/return signature letter forbidding future contact in regards ***** ***** because my wife asked her husband when they were going to fix my driveway 1 time. Also, the county has changed the lay of maintained road so ALL rain enters easement from both sides. I've contacted County Council before several times. If washes out really bad- county will fix holes on road only & I have to arrange for all other necessary work as is my Only way to & from land

Ok, so are you saying that the neighbor's actions in working on their land has caused the drainage and runoff to damage your land?

over the years but I'm more interested in like taking ownership of easement since we r ONLY ppl who use it...I mean they can't do anything to it & I'd really like to put up a PRIVATE DRIVE sign Legally. I am now having problems with neighbor on other side of property standing/walking while yelling obscenely. She knows it's not my property & I've notified Landowner of harrassment. Someone told me that if we're only 1s that gave used it in over like 20 yes that I can take it from owner & attach it to land that I own. Is that correct?
This is MAIN ? that I'd like answered.

You can't cut off someone else's easement rights even if you are the only one who use it as it is a property right. So even if they don't use it for years, it is still their right to do so.

.

The only way you could try and claim legal ownership of that land would be to completely block it off, like with a gate, and prevent the underlying landowner from entering it at all.. Then if you can do so for 20 years, and keep them from suing you to remove the gate, then you can claim legal ownership under "adverse possession". In South Carolina the period of time for adverse possession must be at least twenty (20) years. See South Carolina Code §15-67-210 through 260.

.

But your recourse here if they are damaging your property with their actions is to sue them for "private nuisance". A private nuisance is an interference with a person's enjoyment and use of his land. The law recognizes that landowners, or those in rightful possession of land, have the right to the unimpaired condition of the property and to reasonable comfort and convenience in its occupation.

.

If they are damaging your property, you can sue for the cost of any repairs and for injunctive action to have a judge order them to take actions to stop any future damage.

.

As for the crazy neighbor, I would suggest recording their actions on a cell phone and then filing a formal complaint for harassment if they are just doing this to disturb and annoy you and then seek a restraining order for them to have no contact with you.

.

.

thanks

The adverse possession is what I was referring too. I have 1 more year & the 20yrs will b up. Like I said, we r the only ppl that use it as it deadends on my property & the rest of plat has @ the very least 300ft of county road frontage for access. The only time owner has entered that part of plat is to turn tractor around, but has room to without it, so not necessaTHANK YOU.

Well the thing about adverse possession is you have to make it crystal clear that you are preventing the legal owner from using it at all.... that is why I said you have to do something like put up a fence.. Them merely not using it won't extinguish it.. .you have to actually be in "hostile" possession of it, meaning that you are affirmatively preventing them from entering..

.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Sir, I've sincereseaeched the code you provided & 2 sites say it's 10yrs in SC. I'm not allowed by law to put up fence / plant flowers / etc., because don't own, but you are saying I have to be hostile, in regards, ***** ***** possession Correct? We're trying to move, but I'd like to be able to sell with driveway and not easement. All neighbors are Xwife family & situation is volatile. Since she works for Judge, They KNOW exactly how far to push the situation without consequence. I just found out last year why the LAW wouldn't do anything to help me. It was in their system that I had 4r more DUIs, WHICH WAS ERROR; so everytime I'd call they thought I was drinking, I guess because Officer told me that if I called again I'd go to jail. (This part pertains to Wife, Sheila) This clerical error has since supposedly been corrected by FCSO, so I could get CWP. Whole different ISSUE.
She, is LANDOWNER, that works for Judge.
If I lived here for 10yrs without prior Landowner entering easement 1999-2009, then could I do adverse possession . I mean if current landower purchased after 2009, then I KNOW for 10yrs I (mine) were ONLY using easement & had treeline on both sides blocking entrance to drive.

Sorry that was my typo... But if you look under 260.. you actually have to do something, like fence it or cultivate it (as with farmland).

.

The whole point is that you are legally stealing someone else's land by trespassing for a set amount of time and preventing the true owner from entering it..

Barrister, Lawyer