Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am needing some advice regarding property and inheritance,

I am needing some...

I am needing some advice regarding property and inheritance

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I am trying to gain my property that was willed to me from my grandma, i recently found out that i was willed the property that i reside on. but she had a will leaving her other 2 properties to my mother but not this one. also my mom was supposed to be paying the taxes on the properties but come to find out she was collecting rent from me but not paying the taxes. i have the money to pay the taxes right now but i dont want to be a fool and pay them just to have my mom throw me out later.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there a way to pay the taxes and gain control of the property before it goes up for auction next month

3/8/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Did anyone ever file a probate case to settle grandmother's estate?

,.

If not, why not?

.

Is there a mortgage on the property in default as well as back taxes?

.

.

thanks

Nobody has filed probate and honestly i domt know why not . i was under the impression all the properties were willed to my mom. but i just found out that they were not. there is no morgage only the back taxes.

Ok, then if it is only back taxes, you can pay them to stop any sale and then file a formal probate case to settle her estate if mother won't do so. The will would need to be filed and if mother is named the executor and won't do it, then you can ask the judge to appoint you.

.

Then you pay any debts or bills, file any tax returns, and then can have deeds prepared to transfer the properties to the named heirs in the will. That is obviously a simplified version and the case will typically take around 9 months.

.

But if they foreclose and sell the property, then you are out of luck because any money would just go into grandmother's estate to go to whoever gets her remainder estate, which is everything that is left over after any specific gifts are made..

but see the first will names my mom but the other will states i am to get this property .
if i file the one we just found wont the other one trump mine

Only the most recent will counts...

then i am screwed

If the most recent will gives everything to mother or someone else, then yes... unless that will went missing and no one could find it.

the will my mother had .i now have and i found out from my sister that it was forged and alltered. just by looking at the will you can only tell that it was doctored up
my son that is in the 9th grade notived the signatures are different

Then you submit the one you have that is valid and challenge any other will that might show up..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

The first will states that anyone who trys to challenge it will automatically be disinheirated . do u want me to upload a copy copy of it to u

I believe you... but if it is a forged will, it is invalid from the start..

Barrister, Lawyer