Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am having problems with the taxes of a property we have in…

Customer Question
I am having problems...

I am having problems with the taxes of a property we have in Summerset Davis, IL. ! was going to pay the 2017 taxes and they told me that the property is not on our name because it was sold for th taxes.We never receive any notification or notice about this. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I do not have records of paying the taxes since 2013

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/8/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I've been an attorney for about 20 years. Do you know when the property was sold to collect on the taxes?

No

Okay, there are a couple things then that you will want to find out. The first is to request proof of notice of the intent to sell the property. Illinois law requires notice to be mailed either certified or registered mail to the person last noted as owner of record for tax purposes. If you never received actual notice, I would want to find out where they sent notice and to whom or whether the government will claim they sent it to you. The next - and potentially most important thing - is to find out the date of sale. The tax office or the office that maintains deeds in your county should be able to point you to that information. Under Illinois law (35 ILCS 200/21-345) an owner whose property is sold at a tax sale has 2 years from the date of sale to redeem the property (get the property back). You can do that by paying any owed taxes or by filing a protest if you believe the amount sought is not the accurate outstanding tax amount. If it has not been two years yet since the sale, this is your path to reclaim your property. If it has been more than 2 years, you may need to seek the services of a local attorney in order to file a lawsuit against the government to challenge the sale based on lack of notice. I hope this helps and am sorry you are dealing with this issue.

If you need further help, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate a 5 star rating at this point.

Please note: This is for informational and educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been created as a result of this conversation.

Happy Friday! I just wanted to check in to make sure I answered your question and to see if you need any further assistance with this issue.