Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

This involves jointly held property. If it is spelled out in…

Customer Question
This involves jointly held...

This involves jointly held property. If it is spelled out in the terms of the divorce, can each tenant’s interest pass to his/her individual estate.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My trust attorney said that it is okay. The divorce attorney thinks that it could be problematic.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/7/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

They'd have to retitle the property so it's held as tenants in common rather than joint tenants. With joint tenants, when a person dies, their share of the property automatically transfers to the other person instantly. There is nothing to be distributed to the heirs, because the property isn't part of the estate. Property held as joint tenants cannot be willed or left to anyone other than the other joint tenants. Property held as tenants in common can. The best way to handle it would typically be to have the spouses sign the deed at the same time as any divorce separation agreement.

It could be problematic, because if one spouse changes their mind down the road about owning property with the other, you'll have to go to court. Or you risk one spouse selling their share to a third party (it doesn't happen often, but it can happen). More litigation can occur if either spouse doesn't fulfill their obligations. So I understand the divorce attorney's concerns. You might want to ask if she has any other reason for being worried about it. But it can be done, as long you execute a new deed to the property.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer