Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I. Payed. My. House. Off. And. They. Said. L. Had. To. Pay.

Customer Question
I. Payed. My. House...

I. Payed. My. House. Off. And. They. Said. L. Had. To. Pay. Them. Pricble. Plus. Interest

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Lumberton. NC. I. Paid. Off. 10. Years. Early

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I. Call. Them. To. Offer. A. Pay. Off. They. Said. No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/7/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

They cannot prevent you from paying the house off early. If you ask for a payoff they must give you one and the payoff includes your principle (the amount borrowed) plus your interest due in accordance with the mortgage contract.

So, if they will not give you a payoff amount, you need to contact the NC Attorney General and also the NC Commissioner of Banks at http://www.nccob.org/public/

If the AG and Commissioner of Banks cannot resolve this matter, you could sue them for refusing to allow you to pay off the loan as you requested.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.