Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My HOA management committee wants to make the unit connected…

Customer Question
My HOA management committee...

My HOA management committee wants to make the unit connected to mine a permanent rental along with three others. The landlords are all on the HOA ,management committee. I am opposed to this. What am I to do about this over-bearing committee??

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No. but they wrote it up in the recent cc&r's that were just recorded with the city. without asking me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The president has been there forever and has used her thirty years of teaching highschool english to completely control everything.1

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/7/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Hello I am an attorney here to help. I'm so sorry about your situation. Sadly, the law regarding HOAs tend to just cover things like the financial responsibility of the HOA and requires the HOA to follow its bylaws. Otherwise, the law allows the HOA to do as they see fit so long as it's not illegal.
With that said you may want to consider seeing if any local ordinances prohibit certain kinds of occupancy. For example, perhaps there is a short term occupancy stattue in your area which would void the decision. the only other way to fight this is through getting the board members voted out. How else can I help you today?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, thank you.
Tina, Lawyer