Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I signed up as guarantor for first year of college housing,

I signed up as...

I signed up as guarantor for first year of college housing, he paid for his own rent and signed subsequent lease with his signature (he was of legal age) for ensuing lease agreements. They are trying to hold me responsible for his default, can they do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

They filed nothing with me, but put it in the hand of a collection agency, which I only found out after I requested my personal credit report.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want the debt to be reassigned to my son, and to have the adverse report on my credit removed.

3/7/2018
RealEstateAnswer
Good evening. What is the basis for which they are tying to go after you? Was the lease a new one and what was it that you actually co-signed?was it just for that one year?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My understanding was that I was guaranteeing his first year rent because he was just short on his income to do it by himself, which he subsequently covered by his work and student loan in his name. He signed subsequent leases with his signature, taking responsibility for the debt, then he defaulted a couple years later because he had to start a new job.
Thank for the reply. You have a legal right to dispute the debt under the FDCPA and they need to cease collection efforts until they validate it. Moreover, you can dispute it and challenge it on your credit report and they would need to respond as well. The goal is to obtain proof that you are liable and show that you only guarantee the first year and nothing subsequent. While he may have signed a new lease thereafter what you signed may have bound you while he was a tenant there unless he submitted a new application on his own.
RealEstateAnswer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your assistance.

My pleasure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Helped me to understand my options. I am very satisfied.

Thank you very much.

RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer