Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

The association fees for our condos are prorated based on…

The association fees for...

The association fees for our condos are prorated based on the square footage of the condos. I pay over 3% of the fees for the common areas based on my 1912' but a resident with a 950' condo pays 1.45. There are a limited number of garages, boat slips and storage areas that you can also purchase. My question is if a resident owns the smaller unit but also owns a garage and storage space, shouldn't those spaces be added to his 950' footage? In other words are we paying a percentage of all the property based on just ownership of living space or all properties including the garages and storage etc.?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, but I just bought my condo August 30, 2017 and the fees have gone from 733.00 a month to 779.00 a month.

3/7/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Total square footage should be used to determine percentage of fees taking into account internal space along with additional storage space and other allocated space. If the bylaws do not say so, member may amend it to reflect such a fair distribution. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
I will know better tomorrow when we have a homeowners meeting. I intend to ask for a fairer distribution based on the fact that an owner with a condo, garage and or storage area has to pay a share of the expense at least equal to mine. If the garage and or storage space is added to the condo's square footage, that owner may end up with more square footage than my larger 1912' condo. I appreciate your answer and will ask for you again if needed. Thank you
Perfect. Good luck! Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer