Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in Philadelphia and my roommate’s boyfriend will be…

Customer Question
i live in Philadelphia and...
i live in Philadelphia and my roommate’s boyfriend will be staying with us about 4 - 5 nights a week. is it advised that he be added on to the lease?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. Generally, the answer to your question is yes; he should be added to the lease. The reason that I say this is because if a person is staying there 4-5 nights per week, but they aren't a tenant, and the landlord finds out, then the landlord may consider that person a trespasser if they don't consent to that person being there. A trespasser doesn't have the same rights as a tenant, meaning that the trespasser could be hauled off by the sheriff's department for violating the law. If he is a tenant, then he will a) be partially responsible for the property at move out; and b) the roommate can rest assured that he can only be evicted through the proper and legal means as required by your state. So, my recommendation is yes, add him to the lease.

Did you have any other questions for me regarding this?