Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My 1099 form from my property manager does not agree. They…

Customer Question
My 1099 form from...

My 1099 form from my property manager does not agree. They refuse to show me how they arrived at their figure. Isn’t that illegal? How do I proceed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sacramento, CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not to my knowledge. They refuse to give me any information after many phone calls and emails.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I suspect fraud on the part of my property management. They won’t give me any backups on work they do.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/7/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 month ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry to hear about this situation. No, the company does not have to show you how they arrived at their numbers. In this situation, you then explain the mistaken amount is a MISTAKE on your own tax return. For example:

Erroneous Form 1099-MISC $30,000

Less error amount $27,000

Net to line 21 $3,000

Then the IRS will look into the matter and that is when both parties how their time/other records to IRS so it can make a determination of who is correct.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law