Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Landlord refuses to return any portion of $2000 security…

Landlord refuses to return...

Landlord refuses to return any portion of $2000 security deposit. She does not claim any damages, just painting & tile & grout cleaning. I lived there for 3 yrs, 9 months. She also did not contact me regarding the deposit. When I had not heard from her, I texted her asking about it on 2/28. I have text messages supporting all of this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

San Jose, California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, downy know if I have a case.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything.

3/7/2018
socrateaser, Lawyer

I am a member of the State Bar of California and a licensed real estate broker.

If it's been more than 21 days since you surrendered the keys to the rental property (i.e., vacated premises), then you can sue in small claims court for twice the amount of the security deposit withheld. If you don't know the landlord's true address, you can serve the summons at the address for payment of rent in the lease agreement. Civil Code § 1950.5.

Piece of cake.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the help. I'll rate you. How do I go about Small Claims Court?
socrateaser, Lawyer