Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

In the State of Alabama, is it mandatory to have an Attorney…

Customer Question
In the State of...

In the State of Alabama, is it mandatory to have an Attorney to file an eviction and represent a client, or can a Landlord file his own eviction.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, but i have been told you must have an Attorney to file and represent at the court hearing.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/7/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

There is no requirement in Alabama that a landlord use an attorney to represent them in an eviction. A landlord may file for an eviction and represent themselves in court should they wish.

A landlord cannot, however, use "self-help" --that is, do things like lock a tenant out or cut off their utilities where a tenant has violated their lease.

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for my by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.I am a property Owner, of several apartments and wanted to know can I send my Property Manager to file
the evictions.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

If you mean serve the summons? Yes they may, although I recommend that an uninterested adult person serve the summons, such as a process server.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer