Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My question is can my landlord evict me due to visiting

Hello My question is...

Hello My question is can my landlord evict me due to visiting animals on the property when there are no signs that say they are prohibited?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I have a cat and they are stating that no other animals can visit. The animals are licensed and in the care of their owners. I live in the state of Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not thru the courts yet. I go for a grievance hearing next week that I am in violation of the lease to proceed with a notice to quit

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It is a state funded housing development if that matters

3/7/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

This depends on the rental agreement/lease...can you tell me, what does your rental agreement/lease say about this?

It says to keep no animals, such as dogs and cats, or other pets, except as provided for in the New Bedford using Authority Pet Policy. And the policy says you can have one pet under 15 or 25 pounds I believe.
The animals they refer to are not residing or being kept. They come and go with their owners. One of them is actually a therapy dog.

Can you tell me, did the landlord give you notice of this violation before moving to evict?

they gave me a verbal warning however my daughter was not abiding when she visited due to lack of signs up and other people that do not live here also come around with their animals. How should I proceed with this grievance?

Can you tell me, have they filed for eviction yet?

No. How is it legal for others/strangers to walk their animals on the premises but my neighbor who has a dog on her lease can't come over or someone not from here with the animal in their custody affect my lease?
They have not filed because I asked for a grievance hearing but I am very scared. I would have no where to go on low income raising a child with trauma issues.

Thanks
I have some thoughts and will type them up...but I have attend to a minor emergency. I expect it will take approx 10 mins. I will type up an answer after that.

ok thank you

Thank you for your patience

What you are describing, that language in the lease WOULD allow the landlord to prevent you from bringing additional pets into the home.

And if they give you notice (warn you to stop this) and you continue to allow others to bring pets? The landlord can evict.

Now…service animals are NOT considered pets…so they can not evict you for a guest visiting with a service animal. But non service animals are pets…and they can be regulated in a rental agreement

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can have pets as guests, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

ok. thank you
just for confirmation a verbal warning suffices. they don’t have to make a written one that I sign first?

Welcome. Please take the time to accept the answer, I would truly appreciate that
phil

They do not have to be in writing...if you are given notice verbally? They can enforce the rule

P. Simmons, Lawyer
ok thanks. i will rate you now. i appreciate your help today

Thank you

Phil