Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

HOA has started foreclosure action on son's home due to past…

HOA has started foreclosure...

HOA has started foreclosure action on son's home due to past due association fees. His mortgage is current. He has offered to make HOA whole plus pay 6 months in advance. They refused his offer. Since they started foreclosure proceedings does it make sense to continue to pay the mortgage or should stop paying the mortgage company?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?

This is in Iowa and I'm not sure what paperwork has been filed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I believe the HOA has filed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Son filed bankruptcy 4 years ago, but kept the home out of that.

3/7/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

It makes sense to continue to pay the mortgage because the lender has a security interest in the property. If the HOA foreclosure is dismissed or settled, then not paying the mortgage could make matter worse. Not paying the mortgage would result in interest, fees and costs added on to the mortgage amount. This would increase the amount outstanding.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer
Thanks for the info.

You are welcome.