Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I had a realtor and we made an offer for a property in

Customer Question
I had a realtor...

I had a realtor and we made an offer for a property in Parrish Florida. The contract had stated it is required to have a commitment letter with in 30 days of the offer. 1 day after the loan was disapproved the realtor informed me that he a asked the mortgage broker for the letter several times within the specified time frame. The mortgage broker stated the realtor did not ask for the letter. Also the broker stated a commitment letter is rarely used and he is not at fault. A Escrow of 3,000.00 is going to the seller because a letter of commitment was not provided within the 30 days. The realtor and the mortgage broker are basically not taking responsibility for my loss. Is this ethical?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Parrish, Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Filed to who

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/7/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the contract stated the letter was required, it does not matter what the broker SAYS, it matters what the contract states and they must honor the contract.

If they did not follow the contract, then legally they are in breach and you can sue them for any damages that the breach caused you to suffer. So, at this point, you can sue the mortgage broker if your realtor put the letter requirement in the contract.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I go about with this lawsuit. When the loan was denied the realtor and the broker called my daughter without my knowledge or permission and informed her of my loan denial. To include asking her, her credit score and would she co/sign the loan. That was ethnically wrong and it violated my privacy.

Thank you for your reply.

You would not be able to bring this suit without engaging a local FL attorney to represent you, but you would need to file in the local circuit court against the broker and the other agent. You can get a local FL Civil Litigation or Real Estate litigation attorney at the same site used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer