Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mother has owned a camper on a permanent site for over 10…

My mother has owned...

My mother has owned a camper on a permanent site for over 10 years. The camper itself has been on the site since 1978. She has paid her lot rent religiously since 2008 and has made upgrades to the camper and site itself. They are now saying the camper is too old and needs to be moved and her porch and patio need to be removed. They have given her until April 15 to get everything moved. Can they make her move AND up the rent from $350 to $600?? They said her camper was grandfathered in when she bought it so she didn't think this was possible to happen.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

SC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I'm aware of. She hasn't even received a letter yet, but some of the neighbors have. Some of the residents have been full time living there longer than the 10 years my mother has been going down there. Her neighbor at the campground has actually put in over $30,000 in repairs and now he is being told to move too.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is about it for now. She just found out today of this happening and is very worried.

3/7/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the camper was grandfathered in, they cannot make her remove it and can make her only do upkeep on the patio and porch. If they try to make her remove everything, she will need to get a local attorney to sue for them changing the rules on her after the fact.

As far as increase of rent, that is a negotiable item depending on any written lease she has. Once her lease expires, the landlord can raise rent for the next lease term. So if her lease expires, the landlord can raise rent on renewal.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.