Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a landlord and the city of New York sends me a payment…

I am a landlord...

I am a landlord and the city of New York sends me a payment for one of my tenant. However, I'm the past few months the city been sending a payment for less that the agreement what can I do,

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New york

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes by the tenant

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The rent is $1400.00, the tenant pays $1000. and the city pays $400.00. $200. the 1St of each month and $200. on the 15th. The past few month they have been sending $84. 50 for each payment. The tenant went to them and the problem is still not corrected. How much is your fee?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Do you have a written fixed term lease contract that says the city pays the $400?

.

Or is that what they used to pay but the contract has gone month to month?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The tenant has a lease which she took to the city, so far I have had no direct contact with the city, but they send the checks directly to me.

Ok, apparently the city has cut back on their assistance, probably due to some increase in the tenant's income. But the tenant is still liable for the full amount of the rent, whether the city helps pay or not.

.

So your recourse here is to give the tenant a written 3 day notice to pay the remaining amount due or vacate. Then when the tenant contacts you, you can explain to them that your lease is with them, not the city, and they are responsible for the full rent whether they get help from some other entity or not.

.

Then if they don't pay what is owed, you have to decide whether you want to file a formal eviction to get them out or try to work with them to get caught up.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer
Barrister, Lawyer