Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Does Florida Statuteapply to home owner's personal property…

Does Florida Statute(###) ###-####apply...

Does Florida Statute(###) ###-####apply to home owner's personal property claims?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes. Six months ago during hurricane Irma, our house was flooded by sewer water because Utility company failed to have backup generators . We are not covered by our own homeowner policy for this. Working with utility co. insurance. We're told the utility company decides compensation for damage. Seemed odd the company responsible for damage gets to decide compensation.

3/7/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

There would appear no reason why the statute would not apply to a home owner's personal property claims. If you are saying that you have no home insurance, then the statute does not seem to apply in your situation. If the Utility company is claiming responsibility and determining damages, and you disagree with the damage assessment, then you may not necessarily have to accept the damage assessment. You can attempt to get an independent appraiser or if you have receipt of the value of the personal property, you can make a claim in court for the damages.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer