Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

In the State of, can photos be taken of a home I am renting…

Customer Question
In the State of...

In the State of Virginia, can photos be taken of a home I am renting to market the home for sale prior to my lease ending. I do see a clause in my lease indicating that the property can be shown, but nothing stating I have to allow for photos of my belongings to be used to post on a MLS

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/7/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. While the owner can take photos of both the inside and outside of the home, they should not be taking any which reveal or display anything personal, of yours. By that, I mean family photos that may be viewed when they photograph the room, should not be displayed and you can simply remove them for the time that they are taking these photos and simply put them back after. If they are on a wall, you can briefly take them down or move them if they are on a dresser or table.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!