Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in Louisiana, ours laws are different than the other…

Customer Question
I live in Louisiana, ours...
I live in Louisiana, ours laws are different than the other states.My dad has property that had an access road for oil drilling for 40++ years.It was recently given back to my dad and the city has stopped any maintenance in it.This is a gravel access road.Can he remove the path and reclaim his property?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/7/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Irwin Law, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Based on the information that you have provided, yes your dad can reclaim the road buy fencing off the access from the adjacent property so that he is the only one who has the use of it. As you said yourself, Louisiana law may be different so this should be checked by a local attorney to see how the original access road was created and what kind of record there is of it. If there are no recorded rights, and no one can claim adverse possession, he should have no trouble reclaiming sole ownership. I hope that you will find this information helpful and that you will rate this answer with five stars. Thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for responding, I was hoping to find a Louisiana attorney that could provide knowledge on Louisiana laws.

Off hand, I am not aware of any law panel members from Louisiana. Sorry.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer