Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I received a Notice of Mechanic's Lien on my home from a…

I received a Notice...

I received a Notice of Mechanic's Lien on my home from a sub-contractor of the solar general contractor who installed a solar system on my home. The lien is for $5,001 for electrical materials. I have made several attempts to contact the solar company but have been unsuccessful. How should I proceed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I received the notice 3 weeks ago. The company who financed the system has heard nothing of the lien except from me. The notice looks like an intent to file.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

3/7/2018
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. A notice of intent to lien is not a lien. Generally, a notice of intent to lien states that the sub-contractor will be filing a lien within 10 days against your property. I recommend checking the public records to see if any actual liens have been filed by the sub-contractor. The contractor is responsible for payment to the subcontractor. I recommend a written letter to contractor demanding proof of payment to the sub-contractor.

Have I answered your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a five star rating.

Lori
Lori, Lawyer