Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I received a thirty day notice of termination of tenancy…

Customer Question
I received a thirty...

I received a thirty day notice of termination of tenancy today. My lease is until April 20th, my rent is paid and I cant for the life of me understand why they would do this when my lease expires 2 weeks later. very upsetting since the rent has always been paid.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Oh yes, sorry California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I dont know. The paper was on my front door

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. I think it's a little strange. Im not behind on the rent. Doesnt make sense to me

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Is the tenancy month to month? What is the reason or legal basis for the landlord’s right to terminate before the lease expires?
It's a one year lease. I signed it along with my boyfriend in April 2017, and it ends on April21, 2018. I have no idea of why I received this. Since it was after five when I got it, I can't call the management company till tomorrow morning.
This whole thing just doesnt make sense to me since the lease is up two weeks later anyway.
Thank you for the additional information.
If you have a one year lease then the landlord can not terminate it early without you being in breach or without a specific provision in the lease providing for early termination.
Additionally, you can not be legally evicted without a court order, and if you are not in breach then there is no basis to issue the order.
It could be a mistake. Perhaps it was meant for a different unit.
I dont think so because our names are ***** ***** and also our unit is one half of a duplex house. The house is not located in an apartment complex.
Then you need more information. Without a breach or a provision in the lease there is simply no legsl right to evict you before the lease expires.
Are you still online with me?
sorry I was reviewing the lease. Cant see any reason that I would have gotten this notice. I havent broken any rules of the unit.
If there is nothing in the lease and there has been no breach then the landlord can not terminate the tenancy unilaterally before the end of the lease term.
So, they can tell you the lease is terminating early, but they have no way to enforce it and any eviction they file in court would be dismissed if you show up.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.